Windows 95 Using DOS ODI Instead of NDIS
Abstract: With Windows 95, it is possible to use the DOS ODI network adapter driver instead of the usual Windows 95 NDIS driver. This is advantageous in some situations, particularly when a Windows 95 NDIS driver is not available for your network adapter. This document describes the installation procedure.
1. Install Windows 95; keep the CD ROM with Windows 95 attached for future use.
2. Boot Windows 95 and exit to a DOS window.
3. Copy the NetWare Client support file LSL.COM to the root directory of the Windows 95 hard drive:
LSL.COM 8-17-95 OR LATER
NOTE: IPX.COM, NETX.EXE or VLM.EXE
are not needed. Windows 95 provides the NetWare client shell
Example: for a Racore 100VG adapter, RVGODI.COM
5. Using a text editor, add the following lines to the end of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file contained on the Windows 95 root directory.
C:\ (your adapters ODI driver)
Be sure that Windows has created a PATH statement to C:\ near the top of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Note: You may put LSL and the ODI driver in any directory, just make certain that this path statement is consistent with where you put your files. A typical path statement is:
PATH C:\WINDOWS; C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND; C:\
6. Shut down your computer and insert your network adapter, then reboot.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before proceeding with the following steps, your adapter must be present and its DOS ODI driver must be loaded. If you performed the previous steps, this will be achieved; however, it is recommended that you observe the boot-up carefully to be sure that the driver properly loads.
7. From CONTROL PANEL, select the NETWORK icon.
8. From the NETWORK window (configuration folder up front), click on ADD. You will be taken to the Select Network Component Type window.
9. From the Select Network Component Type window, click on ADAPTER, then click on ADD. You will be taken to the Select Network Adapters window.
10. From the Select Network
Adapters window, click on EXISTING ODI DRIVER,
then click on OK.
11. OPTIONAL STEP FOR NETWARE CONNECTIVITY ONLY:
- From the NETWORK window, click on Client for Microsoft Networks then click on REMOVE.
- Click on NETBEUI
then click on REMOVE.
- From the Select Network Protocol window, click on NOVELL, then click on OK. You will be taken back to the NETWORK window.
12. From the Network window, click on OK. At this point, Windows will access the Windows 95